Curling of the body - what's this behaviour about?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Finley
Egg
Egg

Curling of the body - what's this behaviour about?

Post by Finley »

What does it mean when shrimp (e.g. my CRS) curl their tails right under themselves, so that their whole body forms a tight 'U' shape?

Thanks,

Finley
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Curling of the body - what's this behaviour about?

Post by Neonshrimp »

Most of the time it means that they are cleaning their swimlets. It can also just be a way of stretching/loosening their shell.
geo
Egg
Egg

Post by geo »

I agree with Neonshrimp in that It makes sense from a biological perspective that their "curling" is probably related to keeping their exoskeleton limber and flexible.

Peace, Geo
HellRaizer
Egg
Egg

Post by HellRaizer »

my RCS usualy start doing this a while before they molt, its just to loosen up the old skin and move it from the new one.. if you are lucky you might catch one doing this and then the next moment see it pop out leaving an empty milky colored skin behind
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

One of our members recently posted a video clips of shrimp molting :-D
HellRaizer
Egg
Egg

Post by HellRaizer »

yes, that was those you-tube video clips of a CRS molting.. definately some way cool clips, its something most of us hardly ever see! personally ive only seen this once, and by accident realy since i was feeding the shrimp and one that was doing these curling movements cought my eye and the next moment it popped right out of its 'skin'
Shaun
Egg
Egg

Post by Shaun »

I think they are also doing this to clean themselves. Watch their back legs, they reach around and wipe all over. It reminds me of a fly.
Shaun
aberfitch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by aberfitch »

I have noticed mine doing the same this last week. This behavior is new to me too!! Observing them closely it seems they are cleaning. I also checked their private hiding area and there are about 6 molted shells. So it must be some are cleaning themselves and the others are streaching to molt.