Leaf litter (or, single leaf) in opae tank?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Fishkeeper
Egg
Egg

Leaf litter (or, single leaf) in opae tank?

Post by Fishkeeper »

I have a cherry shrimp (neocaridina) tank next to my opae tank, with plenty of leaf litter, and I've been observing how the shrimp love to pick at the biofilm growing there. The leaves are common gathering places. I'm now wondering- can I give my opae a leaf? I would probably boil it first to remove most of the tannins, for aesthetic's sake, and then put the leaf in. My impulse would be to let it decay fully. This seems to be a normal part of their wild habitat, after all- the pools can have plants around them, which would drop leaves.

It would be a small, slow-decaying one, probably a mangrove leaf of 2-3" long, in a well established 3gal. Many more leaves than that would be entirely suitable in a cherry shrimp tank, but cherry shrimp get water changes. Letting the leaf decay in the tank would add organic matter, but I could always remove most of it with a turkey baster. I know opae don't like change, but I can't imagine a 2% water change will cause them any distress.

If letting it break down entirely isn't a good idea, could I put it in for maybe a week or so, until it starts to break up, and then remove it?