Can shrimp fracture their exoskeleton?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Shaun
Egg
Egg

Can shrimp fracture their exoskeleton?

Post by Shaun »

One of my male RCS looks like he has broken his skin. I don't know how to explain this... It looks like a seam has opened between what would be his thorax and abdomen (it makes him look like a dragonfly with out wings). He can still swim. I wish I could post a picture. He's not molting, It looks nothing like that. But back to my question, Can they sustain an injury like that?
Shaun
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Can shrimp fracture their exoskeleton?

Post by Neonshrimp »

I think this is something like outgrowing their shell. For some reason there is a crack or open seam as you put it. I have also had this happen with one or two of my Cherry shrimp as they were growing into adult size. After they molt the problem is resolved and they have a new shell that fits :D
Shaun
Egg
Egg

Post by Shaun »

I hope that is it. I'm really afraid that I may have hurt him yesterday when I was getting my neons out and moving them to a new tank. My shrimp know have the tank all to themselves, aside from a handful of snails.
Shaun
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Just keep an eye on the shrimp and let us know how it does. It should molt and replace the split shell. Good to hear you went with the shrimp only tank, you will get to see the difference.
Shaun
Egg
Egg

Post by Shaun »

Well, he died... :(
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Sorry to hear that :( How are the rest of the shrimp doing now in the shrimp only tank?
Shaun
Egg
Egg

Post by Shaun »

They seem to be fine. They come out and swim around alot more now. I just wish I knew what all of these bugs are. Probably need a new thread for that though.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Are you talking about the copepods, little white swiming bugs that are attracted to light?
Shaun
Egg
Egg

Post by Shaun »

I've been doing some searching trying to find a picture that looks like them. I think they are ostracods. I'm going to go to my parents house to get my microscope. Go to http://www.dogpile.com and do a search for images of ostracod2, it will be the second image. Sorry I couldn't get the picture to show here. But that is what they look like as far as my naked eye can tell.