Ill/blind crystal red

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Peter
Egg
Egg

Ill/blind crystal red

Post by Peter »

I noticed this poor shrimp being unwell three days ago, her eyes were swollen and black. She was slow but eating. She clearly couldn’t see, one of the eyes has cleared (the eye is now missing) it had a black protrusion sticking out of it yesterday, it looks as though the eye socket is still there. The other eye clearly is not working either and has the same problem. She has eggs near to hatching and is still fanning them, if I put food near her she takes it and is moving about the tank slowly. I got her about three months ago and these are her first eggs. I have no idea when her first symptoms appeared.
I wonder if anyone has any idea what it could be, if it’s likely to be infectious, none of the other shrimp are affected as far as I can tell. I didn’t think she would live, I am feeling that its best to leave her be and increase water changes in case there is something infectious in the tank.
The ph is 6.7, KH 4 the tank has been running about five months it’s a shrimp only tank with cherries bumblebees and crs with a few fan shrimp its 120litres and so far has been successful in terms breeding. The cherry shrimp males are moved to another tank to slow down the population of cherries, the bumblebees and the Crystal reds are also breeding and I haven’t noticed any deaths in the last three months. I dont use any plant ferts.
Thanks for any thoughts you may be able to offer.
Image[/url]
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

The shrimp will regrow the eyes if it lives through another molt or two. Otherwise, there isn't much to be done aside from keeping the water quality as good as possible.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

True about the water quality, but what would cause the eye to do that in the first place?

TKD
Peter
Egg
Egg

Post by Peter »

The shrimp gave birth to her young and now has eggs again, maybe she is getting new eyes but I cant see them she is still moving about slowly.
Thanks for the advice, I guess it must have been a water quality issue, though I dont know what could have been wrong. Thought I would say thanks and give an update.
Peter
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

If dwarf shrimp regenerate like amanos the eye won't return. I have a one-eyed amano called Columbo who I bought like that around three years ago.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Shrimp&Snails wrote:If dwarf shrimp regenerate like amanos the eye won't return. I have a one-eyed amano called Columbo who I bought like that around three years ago.
I agree. I can't find any evidence in scientific literature either that would confirm eye-regrowth. I've also never seen it happen in my tanks.