Filter for Bamboo shrimp setup

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Filter for Bamboo shrimp setup

Post by milalic »

Hi there. What type of filter would you recommend for bamboo shrimp?

THanks!
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I would recommend anything that can produce a significant current for the shirmp to use while filter feeding.

I am a fan of AquaClear HOB filters because they are relatively cheap and have very large media baskets that don't require a lot of long term purchases of expensive filter cartridges.

Because you are keeping the bamboo shrimp, I'd make sure to oversize your filter to ensure that you have the current that your shrimp will prefer.
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

YuccaPatrol wrote: Because you are keeping the bamboo shrimp, I'd make sure to oversize your filter to ensure that you have the current that your shrimp will prefer.
Wouldn't oversizing it filter too much out of the water? I've never really understood that about how they eat... once it's filtered whats left?

Ecir
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I feed my bamboo shrimp a powdered food made from a combination of freeze dried brine shrimp and Omega-One flakes. Just a tiny pinch every other day or so is enough.

My shrimp are kept with small fish and there is always enough particles in the water for them to do just fine.

If you wanted to maximize the amount of particles in the water, a sponge filter for filtration and a powerhead for current would be a good system.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

In my experience, if the tank is adequately sized, a large, mature canister filter will provide all the food these shrimp need. I had three in my 55 gallon with a large canister filter. I never fed them, but they grew rapidly and were happy and healthy. They eat the microscopic life that gets flushed out of the canister filter constantly (as we all know the filter media is full of bacteria). It does not have to be visible particles for them, their fans are perfect for microscopic food.