Berried Dark Maroon Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Berried Dark Maroon Shrimp

Post by Neonshrimp »

I have experienced a slow die off in this tank and it baffles me to no end and my other tank with Cardinals is fine and the shrimp are healthy although none have berried as yet. The Dark Maroon Shrimp are proving very difficult with the adults and few of the young have survived, but some are growing well and appear healthy.
Have you found the die off to be similar to the BT event? You can try to move a few of them to one of your healthy tanks and see if they do better, not sure if it will help though :?
In the Cardinal tank the young survival rate is high and they are growing fairly fast, the other "contaminant" species discussed are also doing well and the purple ones are in their own tank (5 of them). The clear ones appear as Mustafa said two different species and I will try for photos to attach to that thread....
Keep a lookout for any newly hatched babies, a sign that the berried females are very good at hiding :wink: . Good to hear they are doing well though, thanks again for the updates :-D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Berried Dark Maroon Shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

southerndesert wrote:I have experienced a slow die off in this tank and it baffles me to no end and my other tank with Cardinals is fine and the shrimp are healthy although none have berried as yet. The Dark Maroon Shrimp are proving very difficult with the adults and few of the young have survived, but some are growing well and appear healthy.

In the Cardinal tank the young survival rate is high and they are growing fairly fast, the other "contaminant" species discussed are also doing well and the purple ones are in their own tank (5 of them). The clear ones appear as Mustafa said two different species and I will try for photos to attach to that thread....

Cheers, Bill
Hey Bill,

I may be various factors all in play at once here. First off...even if the adult shrimp have survived for so long the effects from the stress that they were exposed to during export/import/shipping etc. still stays with them and may eventually wear them out so they literally drop dead. Stress factors seem to accumulate in shrimp with age and never go away. The fact that many of your young have died could point to some imbalance within your tank. Is the tank fairly new (a few months old). Some tanks can take months to become entirely hospitable for shrimp. Is there any source of organic pollution that may be contributing to a (invisable) bacterial bloom? Decaying leaves? Alder cones? Uncleaned filter? Too much "crap" in the substrate? Just some ideas....