Green Caridina

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Green Caridina

Post by ToddnBecka »

Would these be the "white stripe" variety from India?

Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

These are the "New" Green Shrimp.

The Green Shrimp with the "Stripe" , has a stripe down there back that looks like a stripe a RCS may have.

John
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

What water conditions suit these critters best? Anything particularly different or difficult about them?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's hard to say what kind of green shrimp the pictured animals are. They do look like the "old" green shrimp, which usually has a thin white stripe down its back. However, I have spotted striped individuals among my "new" (i.e. dard green shrimp) also, although the majority of them don't have stripes. The "old" green shrimp also seem to be much more elongated than the more compact "new" green shrimp along with having a more elongated rostrum than the "new" greens.

If they are truly different species, different populations of the same species or subspecies will remain to be seen.

There is nothing "particularly different/difficult" about these shrimp. Good general shrimp-keeping habits (see articles here) will get these guys breeding...provided you received strong animals to begin with (which most likely you won't unless you get the rare captive-bred specimen).
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

I have offspring from Ryan's Green shrimp and some of the youngest shrimp have a slight red coloration to them.

And as stated on the Shrimp Varieties Page for Dark Green Shrimp.
Juveniles of the dark green shrimp can be red.
That is why I made the statement above
John
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

No problem, John. :) The red coloration may occur in the "old" green shrimp young, too. It's just that I never noticed it. Either way, my "old" green shrimp colony (which also got wiped out during my shrimp room disaster a year or two back) had mostly striped shrimp with elongated bodies.

I do have *another* type of green shrimp right now that has the stripes (even as juveniles/older babies interestingly enough) and a more solid green to reddish coloration in the adults. I have a bunch of juvies growing up right now so I will see if this type of color (more solid) persists in the offspring.

And once again...it remains to be seen if these are really different species altogether. Even if they are just different populations of the same species, they should still be kept separate to preserve the unique genetics of each population.