Kuhli loaches with cherry shrimp?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Kuhli loaches with cherry shrimp?

Post by ToddnBecka »

Someone on another aquarium forum was asking whether Kuhli loaches would eat cherry shrimp. I'm not even sure they will eat snails, though I imagine snail eggs would be devoured. Any experiences/thoughts on the matter?
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

Since they are omnivorous, the Kuhli Loach will generally eat all kinds of small live and frozen foods and meat based foods are relished the most.

I would say that the Cherries wouldn't be very happy with Kuhli in the tank as they might end up on the menu. If they feel it nessesary to have fish you should reccomend they stick to suckermouth fish, personally I have a couple of Ottos in my Cherry tank.
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

I kept kuhlis with my apple snails and they never did them any harm. Most other loaches aren't suitable to keep with snails but these guys were fine.
They might nibble at baby shrimp but I doubt they would try and eat the adults.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Yes they will eat shrimp.
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

Why will kuhlis eat adult shrimp when they don't bother snails in any way, shape or form? Snails are a much easier, slower target.

I can't see it myself.
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

Shrimp&Snails wrote:Why will kuhlis eat adult shrimp when they don't bother snails in any way, shape or form? Snails are a much easier, slower target.

I can't see it myself.
I'm not certain as I've never had the Kuhlis myself but if they're omnivores then they might decide to snack, as for your apple snail maybe it's size and shell kept it safe.

Ecir
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

I kept my kuhlis with all sizes of apple snails and amano shrimp.

I could see them nibbling baby shrimp but I really don't see why they would bother adult shrimp. If i'm wrong and kuhlis do eat adults I would be very surprised.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

Hmm, might not be a bad thing if the shrimp population is running amok :lol:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It would be better to feed the shrimp less to decrease reproduction. I would not recomend disposing of shrimp by feeding them to fish or other unsavory means :x Please give them away to LFS or local members if you have to. I keep my fish seperate from my shrimp, each in their own tank :!:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Kuhli's won't eat adult shrimp but will happily eat babies. I kept one for 23 years (just one) and know these are really kool fish, but I've seen them eat baby guppies as well. They are not active hunter/killers, but if the opportunity is there, they will take them. The kuhli also hides outin the same places as the shrimp, so there are plenty of chances.